PEAR TREE LOG

pear tree log: I started this blog to keep my younger son, Jonny, in touch with life in Lincolnshire, while he spent a year working in China. That year turned into five! Now he is home and training to become a physics teacher. This is simply a patchwork quilt of some of the things I enjoy - life in rural Lincolnshire, our animals, friends, architecture, books, the gardens, and things of passing interest.



Saturday 27 August 2011

SLOE GIN AND SLEEPY DOGS

I got up early this morning, obviously a little too early for Pip...
who was sleeping so deeply that I was able to photograph her asleep on the sofa and making herself very comfortable amongst the cushions.


The sun rose from behind the old railway track, Farmer T has begun baling the straw - from some places it looks like a straw bale version of Stonehenge - although about a third of the barley remains unharvested due to the rain.
I am not complaining, because compared to the States we are having it easy at the moment, but goodness have we had some thunder storms and rain today.  All very dramatic, with great streaks of lightning and lots of thunder to scare Toby.  The rain fell very suddenly, and so heavily that it was like stair-rods falling from the sky.
This was the view from the kitchen door just before one of the episodes.  The amount of rain made it necessary for your Pa to drain the system at the back of the house - but don't worry - he has worked out why it couldn't cope and he's going to divert the overflows to the system you installed in the car park.  No doubt he'll talk to you about it.


I picked lots of runner beans this morning, and spent some time cleaning and blanching them all ready for the freezer.  Time consuming, but satisfying.  Five bags so far, and lots left to pick.  


The fruit farm on Rye Lane is advertising that it will be open for apple-picking in a few days so that will be one of the next jobs.  One of these days your Dad will get the apple press out and we will try our hand at making cider.


We made several bottles of sloe gin, and for variety we also made blackcurrant gin  - they'll be ready in time for giving out as gifts in December (don't worry, we'll save you one).  They look so beautiful that I had to photograph them for you.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found this posting. I've been wondering what your home looks like. What a beautiful roof! Mine is tin...a typical Texas farmhouse roof. Of course, mine was replaced with a new tin roof when I bought the farm. It had a big gapping hole where birds had been nesting for many years. How many years have you lived here? Have other family generations lived in this same spot?
    Meggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meggie, The lovely red roof is on the old farmhouse, that is where my daughter and her family live, right across our back garden. George and I renovated the long, low building to the side, it used to be the stables, cow shed, and cart shed. We had it stripped right down to four walls, no roof, and then started again, trying to keep as much character as we could, but also opening the ceilings for height and trying to retain as much character as we could.

    We are really pleased with the result as we feel we have the best of both worlds. The buildings are around 150/160 years old and at one point in time one of the rooms of the farmhouse was used as an aleroom, so that local workers could come and have a drink. Diversification!

    I'd love to be able to say we have been here for generations, but we bought the place about 6 or 7 years ago. It feels as though we have been here forever though! We found several dead rats in the roof space when we stripped it back - that was such a good decision!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly know about mice. I think it comes with living in the country. Thank goodness for our cats! My place had been deserted for over 15 years. Every building was piled high with trash. Little by little, I had everything hauled away. Unlike your home, mine is very simple, but sprinkled with love.
    Thank you for being so kind to me. I try to read one of your old post each day.
    Meggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meggie, We haven't really had our two cats for very long - they came from a rescue centre about six months ago. They have turned out to be fabulous hunters and keep the place clear of all rodents, from the tiniest mice and voles to pretty large rats - to date they have had two of those. Clever girls!

    I plan to do some more back reading on your posts - I am looking forward to reading about your ranch. It sounds as though you had a major job on your hands with it having been deserted for 15 years or more!

    I have just been on one of my nocturnal rambles, finally bed is calling to me. 'Bye for now Meggie.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.