PEAR TREE LOG

pear tree log: I started this blog to keep my younger son, Jonny, in touch with life in Lincolnshire, while he spent a year working in China. That year turned into five! Now he is home and training to become a physics teacher. This is simply a patchwork quilt of some of the things I enjoy - life in rural Lincolnshire, our animals, friends, architecture, books, the gardens, and things of passing interest.



Wednesday 14 September 2011

HOME

It was a cool, bright morning so I fed the cats outside.   Bennie stalked off to do some early morning hunting as Sparky carried on eating and eating.  The field  is still revelling in its rest period and so are we.
I know it is only a matter of a day or two before Martin will come along with 'little red tractor' and it will be a ploughed field of mud, then the barley will be sown and we will move on deeper into autumn.  That is fine, and as it should be, but still it is lovely to have this little respite,  being able to take advantage of the whole field and not just the edges or the track through to the village.


We visited your aged aunt again today.  She had her cleaning lady in, so amidst the clatter and the clank of the mop, hoover, and bucket, we managed an hour of chat (or to be truthful, Nicki managed to talk at us for an hour) which I hope she enjoyed.  It took quite some time to clear our buzzing heads I can tell you.  Her conversations get more and more circular and she cannot remember half of the words which she needs, so she expects me to fill in the gaps - quite difficult - as you know yourself, Jonny!


The drive home is always enjoyable.  The deeper we get into the country the better it feels, the first landmark is Louth.  From there it just gets better with each passing mile and once we turn off the A16 we both relax.  The beautiful countryside and the quiet roads are very soothing and help to calm us.  Your dad went into the wood and did some clearing up near the vegetable garden gate, it looks so much better now.


I grabbed your camera and took some photos of a couple of charity shop buys which I made during my trip into Louth yesterday.






I spent fifty pence on this charming little picture - isn't it lovely?  I also bought a pewter jug for a couple of pounds, plus a couple of books which have gone to join the others in my winter reading stack.






I forgot to mention that I also bought three lovely glass trays/shallow dishes for two pounds (See under the jug).   Photography session temporarily over I got down to some sewing and decided to turn this fabric into this 
little bag - not sure what I will do with it - but I enjoyed the exercise.  I made this little chap from some scrap batting, he just needs to have his nose and eye added.
This is the corner of the conservatory which I have transformed into my craft/painting area.  It works well for me - though it may be a little cold in winter, we'll have to see how efficient that radiator is.


I hope all this hasn't bored you too much Jonny.  I just thought you may like to see what your old Ma gets up to.  Tomorrow I will probably show you some of the things your dad has been doing around the place.


Hope the teaching is going well and that you are sleeping properly.  I have no doubt that you will still be enjoying all the wonderful food and the great social life.


Lots of love,


Mum
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.