PEAR TREE LOG

pear tree log: I started this blog to keep my younger son, Jonny, in touch with life in Lincolnshire, while he spent a year working in China. That year turned into five! Now he is home and training to become a physics teacher. This is simply a patchwork quilt of some of the things I enjoy - life in rural Lincolnshire, our animals, friends, architecture, books, the gardens, and things of passing interest.



Tuesday 18 October 2011

TWO COUNTRY MICE VISIT THE CITY

of Lincoln - and for once I remembered to take the camera!


Clear blue skies and lots of sunshine - almost perfect had it not been for the sharp, cold wind which whipped away scarves and chilled fingers, toes, and noses.


We parked near the castle then made our way down Steep Hill... which, for anyone who doesn't know it, is very steep indeed and I hate to think how it must be when it is icy or snowy...
 it is lined with wonderful little shops  to delight and intrigue
 then comes the really steep bit, with the handrail which lots of people simply have to use
until we come out on the flat ground near beautiful old High Bridge Cafe
and this is the view in the opposite direction, I love that bit of modern sculpture
and then just to show that there is a bridge, which the cafe sits on...
A whistle-stop tour of one of the many beautiful areas of Lincoln.  


We were only making a brief visit for your Pa to have his hearing checked, as our conversations had begun to take on a surreal quality again.  


You know me though, I had to visit most of the book shops and a fabric shop, before starting the trek back up Steep Hill.  Oxygen would have been nice, but I settled for a decent coffee to kick start the climb.


The cathedral was calling to us, and as it was quite a while since your Dad had been there we went in to do the tourist thing.


I have lots of photographs of the interior but I won't bore you with them today.
Although I couldn't resist showing you a couple of the wibbly-wobbly Wolds.


I hope this has brought back memories of your student days Jonny!  Now, how about lots (or even a few) photographs of China - please!


Lots of love,


Mum


xxx

4 comments:

  1. Hi PTL

    Sorry, feel like I'm butting into a private post thing here. Just wanted to say hi!

    Was there last week myself. Lincoln people are so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris, You are very welcome. Don't worry, there is nothing private about the blog. I began it for my son and continue to 'talk' as though to him because I find it easier at the moment.

    Glad you enjoyed your visit to Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful! I keep meaning to plan a visit to Lincoln myself. Steep Hill looks great, even if the "steep" part is slightly intimidating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nilhuanwen, I promise you it is well worth a visit. At the top of Steep Hill you have Lincoln Castle, the Cathedral, and some very nice shops indeed - down the hill you have the larger shops, the market hall and more hustle and bustle.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.