PEAR TREE LOG

pear tree log: I started this blog to keep my younger son, Jonny, in touch with life in Lincolnshire, while he spent a year working in China. That year turned into five! Now he is home and training to become a physics teacher. This is simply a patchwork quilt of some of the things I enjoy - life in rural Lincolnshire, our animals, friends, architecture, books, the gardens, and things of passing interest.



Friday 16 December 2011

Keeping the Home Fires Burning, for Jonny

This post is for you, Jonny.  


I know you will be off on your travels any day now, so I thought I would let you see a few photos of home before you head off looking for some sun!
You won't be cold in Thailand and all the other wonderful places you are about to visit, but it is cold and sleeting here at home and somehow it all seems much more festive with the open fire lit.
This year all the decorations are up high, out of the reach of the cats, fingers crossed!  No tree would be safe with them around so I have put greenery on top of the dressers and above the Rayburn.  It looks quite festive - and best of all the cats don't seem the least bit interested in climbing up to investigate.
As usual, I have got my 'Kitchen Guardian Angel' out to watch over my cooking during the festive period! 
So there s/he is, keeping an eye on me.   Poor thing got the short straw when I bought it!


I wonder where you will be having your Christmas dinner this year, and what it will be.  Whatever, and wherever, I hope you have a wonderful time.


Christmas here will be very different without you, but as we shall number around 16/17 for Christmas day, you may be rather relieved!


I hope you don't mind, but I am going to let Tim and Isis use your bedroom over the holidays.  They are coming up on Christmas Eve, probably quite late.  


On Christmas morning your Dad and I have to do the journey to visit Nicki so we'll be out for at least 3 hours (and that is if the roads are clear)  so it will be nice for them to be able to have a breakfast tray and stay in bed, in peace, for as long as they want.


Once we get back it will be all hands to the pump.


We have sent some money by carrier pigeon, it should be in your bank account by now.   A dull but useful gift, I hope.  Let me know when you receive it.


Try and keep in touch occasionally - please.  Even a one-line email would be good now and then.  


Oodles of love to you.  Have fun.


Mum
xxx



2 comments:

  1. Your Jonny has a great Mum and I appreciate all the cat safe decorating you have put it. More than our house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joanne, I'll let you know how we get on - so far the cats have shown a complete disregard for the greenery - of course they could be waiting until I go to bed!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.