PEAR TREE LOG

pear tree log: I started this blog to keep my younger son, Jonny, in touch with life in Lincolnshire, while he spent a year working in China. That year turned into five! Now he is home and training to become a physics teacher. This is simply a patchwork quilt of some of the things I enjoy - life in rural Lincolnshire, our animals, friends, architecture, books, the gardens, and things of passing interest.



Sunday 26 February 2012

Sunrise, and a Greater Spotted Woodpecker

They say that country life is quiet - not so in the early mornings!

I could hear a neighbour's cockerel crowing, wild geese were squabbling on the fish pond across the road, plus there was a wonderful dawn chorus.  It was unbelievably noisy as the birds seemed to hurl insults at one another. 
So much scribble in the sky!
Gradually the light increased and the noise diminished a little as the birds got down to the serious business of feeding.
One bed down, eight or nine to go!
We spent today doing lots of digging, tidying up the winter debris and generally finding plenty of outdoor work.  It was a beautiful day, mild and sunny and it felt good to be outside.
I found some spare time to play with the camera - during my tea-breaks, of course.
Image borrowed from bbc.co.uk
While I was working outdoors I was delighted to hear the drumming of a Greater Spotted Woodpecker, 
he often comes into the garden for food during winter, although I haven't seen him much in the last few weeks.

I found time to sit and have a chat with the hens, and while I was with them I spotted this ladybird tucked deeply and snugly into a tree trunk, so I photogaphed it using the macro lens.  I wonder whether woodpeckers eat them?
Lets go for a walk.
Harry offered to take the old girls for a walk around the wood - they never walk this neatly for me!
The end of a busy day - mustn't let Harry sleep for too long,
he has to go home.
We came indoors for some tea and cake, all became very quiet, and this is how I found my three boys a short time ago!

I hope you have all enjoyed your Sunday as much as we enjoyed ours.

23 comments:

  1. My Sunday became so much better after looking at your pictures. And that last one is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mitch, Thank you! That photograph was serendipitous and I was so happy to get it. We had been working hard in the fresh air, it worked its magic.


      Hi Joanne, It was a lovely day, the weather was fine, the sun shone a little, we got quite a few jobs done and Harry helped out and felt an important part of the team. Toby followed Harry, that wore him out!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a perfect day to me. The birds aren't waking us in the morning---yet. I am so ready for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your posting, the pics are beautiful. The woodpecker is just gorgeous. Your last pic - no words are needed...Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi, It was a wonderful Sunday and I am so pleased you enjoyed seeing the photographs. I hope you had a lovely weekend too.


      Hi Green Dragonette, It was a thoroughly enjoyable weekend - and we got some jobs done to boot, that has to be good.
      I am always amazed at the variety of birds which a little regular feeding brings into the garden. I did have to smile the other day when I saw (our) wild blue male pheasant feeding along with a sparrow. The disparity in size didn't seem to bother them at all, they were both in there for food!

      Delete
  4. Lovely peaceful Sunday for you all...

    The woodpecker in your photo looks to be female-no red patch on the back of the neck. I have a nesting pair who did have a male and female offspring but sadly only the parents and the male has survived the Winter-it’s lovely to see them at the feeding station though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pictures especially the sleepy heads on the sofa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly,

      It was just one of those opportunities! I think George would rather he hadn't had his mouth open... but they all looked so sweet and were practically snoring in unison!


      Hi Dom,

      All the fresh air and exercise just wore them out! They all felt better for their nap.

      Delete
  6. oh look at them all asleep, gawd bless 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful sequence of photos! I don't which one I like the best (well, perhaps Harry and the hens). How I wish I had your way with a camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms Sparrow,

      I am so pleased you enjoyed seeing them. I am just an opportunist snapper, but I am learning to look for chances to use the camera.

      Hi Meggie,

      George had spent much of the day on his hands and knees as he dug up a cable and removed a buried tree stump, he was very grubby - but that is George at his most comfortable, in old working clothes. I think it will take a bottle of Spray n'Wash to get those jeans clean.

      It took four days of digging and clearing to get that vegetable bed so tidy. George would do it, but he doesn't seem to see the weeds and their roots... I prefer to clear as I go along. They won't stay clear for too long, unfortunately!

      Delete
  8. I had to laugh when I saw the sleepy head's jeans. At the end of the day, the knees of my jeans are so dirty. It takes an extra squirt of Spray n' Wash on the knee area for the washer to get them clean.
    I think the photo of Harry and chicks is definitely a framable photo!
    Your first garden bed looks so clean...so free of weeds. Where I live, it is a constant battle with the weeds. The wind blows most days....and with that comes weed seed from the hills all around me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last photo is priceless!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, It was the one time I have been pleased that Toby is getting a little hard of hearing, I was praying that he wouldn't hear me move in with the camera!


      Hi Evlyn, It is difficult to believe that we are almost into March now and I always associate that with daffodils and lambs! I was so pleased when I saw Harry and the hens in that formation - luckily I had the camera in my hand still from taking the ladybird picture, but I had to whip off the macro lens before I could snap them!

      Delete
  10. What a picture-perfect day. I especially like the photo of Harry and the chickens. It was so refreshing to look at the spring-like weather you are having since we just had a winter storm in eastern Ontario and there is a foot of fresh snow on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a moment in that last photo! Waking up to the sounds of nature waking up -- I can enjoy that. Right now I'm enjoying listening to the sound of rain -- makes me want to curl up in my lounge chair and read a cozy book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet, It was a lovely moment and for once the camera was close at hand! I know what you mean about the sound of rain, especially when you don't have to work outside in it. I hope you did manage to enjoy that book.

      Delete
  12. The picture of the three of them fast asleep is priceless. How well we sleep after a good workout in the fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, We had certainly had plenty of fresh air and exercise! I think the addition of a comforting slice of cake, and the warmth of indoors, just nudged them into that blissful sleep zone. It was beautiful to see their relaxation.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Hi LBM, It was a lovely sight to behold - it will probably never happen again - but at least I have the photo!

      Delete
  14. Hi Betty, Thank you very much. It was one of those rare days when I actually had the camera to hand when I needed it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.