PEAR TREE LOG

pear tree log: I started this blog to keep my younger son, Jonny, in touch with life in Lincolnshire, while he spent a year working in China. That year turned into five! Now he is home and training to become a physics teacher. This is simply a patchwork quilt of some of the things I enjoy - life in rural Lincolnshire, our animals, friends, architecture, books, the gardens, and things of passing interest.



Thursday 12 April 2012

The First Time I Drank Coca-Cola

Upon our arrival in beautiful Hong Kong in 1961, we were taken to the Ascot Hotel in Happy Valley.  It will have been demolished long ago, but it was a nice family hotel and well used to having bewildered, pasty children and parents dumped upon them while apartments and school places were found.    I was almost eight, my older brother, Steve was twelve and a half, Ian was less than a year old.  My father was a civilian who worked for the RAF doing highly secret things.   Life was too exciting for me to ponder upon that for too long.

We did, and saw, many memorable things during those early days, among them was being allowed to drink my very first ever coca cola!   They were different times, a drink like that was a treat to be savoured.   I can still remember the ice cold, greenish glass bottle, condensation dripping down the sides and two straws (the paper type) it felt like the height of sophistication and luxury.    The taste did not disappoint!
Borrowed image

A Sophisticated Young Girl About Town
The illusion was helped by the fact that we were sitting in the bar, on high bar stools.  It was so exciting.  We were having a drink before going into dinner.  We only stayed there for ten days, but I know that the waiters used to be highly amused because each evening I would order exactly the same meal...spaghetti bolognese with lashings of parmesan.  No matter the other tempting dishes, I had found a dish that I liked and stuck to it.  I wonder how long that would have lasted had we been there for three months.

Borrowed image



As we settled into our new apartment and our schools, we began to explore the island.  We had lots of wonderful experiences which always involved stopping off somewhere for a drink.

Another memorable one was the 7up float - 7up with a scoop of ice cream.  I didn't really rate that, as it seemed a waste of both 7up and ice cream!   Oh how I loved those beautiful green bottles with the red and white label.

It was an exciting time, riding in rickshaws as a treat, visiting fabulous parks, botanical gardens, the Tiger Balm Gardens with the weird and wonderful statues, the visions of Hell, grottoes and pavillions displaying effigies of Chinese mythology.  We travelled up The Peak on the Tram, got to play on some very beautiful beaches, visited a variety of parks, and crossed to the Mainland on the Star Ferry.

It became an established routine to go to Kowloon, on the Mainland, every Saturday.  We would go to the YMCA to buy our English comics and magazines  -  Bunty, Judy, Princess, Eagle, Dandy and Beano - according to what was available, then  we'd settle down for a drink in the cafe.  I'm not quite sure why, but we always drank tinned milk.  Ice cold tinned milk.  I think it was called Tongala - but I may be wrong.  I was always fascinated at the triangular punch holes which were made in the top, then a straw was popped in.  It was sterilised milk, but after the heat and bustle of the journey it tasted wonderful!

Quite often we'd go the Victoria Barracks Swimming Pool  and after swimming and splashing all afternoon our drink would be Green Spot Orange Juice.  Glass bottles, paper straws, ice cold.  It was wonderful.

One of the lovely parks which we visited regularly had a big pond in the middle with a cafe to the side.  After running around and letting off steam we go there for a drink.  We always had the Apple Float.  This was actually a pineapple float and was totally delicious, a mix of pineapple juice, fizzy water, tiny ice cubes, and pineapple pieces.


One drink I never got to try, but which always intrigued me, was a dirty milk coloured drink which came in the ubiquitous glass bottle of the time.  I think it may have been a type of soya bean milk, but I could be mistaken. My mother was quite adamant that I wouldn't like it and that was the end of that!


So there you have a whistle-stop tour of beautiful Hong Kong, via some of the soft drinks we enjoyed.  I could also have done a version describing the smells, but I thought this was more fun.  Without doubt, the best drink was that very first coca cola - not because of the taste - but because it marked a complete change in my quiet English life.  

One of these days I shall have to buy a bottle, see if it still tastes the same as in my memory.

Can you remember your first taste of coca-cola?




38 comments:

  1. As I was reading your post, I began thinking about a Coke. I'm not sure I can remember the first time, but I do remember our soft drinks were always in glass bottles, like Hire's Root Beer, Orange Crest, and Big Red. There was a deposit on the bottles that you could redeem at the store. And, of course, there were no twist off caps! What a lovely trip down memory lane to share with us. I started laughing because it seems at the end of every adventure there was a wonderful ice cold soda drink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meggie, I only remember because it was such a time of change in our lives - going from a quiet life in England to the vibrant world of HK. Isn't it funny the things that stick in the memory? The fizzy drinks were only ever allowed when we were out - at home we drank water or home-made orange or lemon squash. That was pretty good too. I should have put it in the post!

      Delete
  2. What a difference in experiences. I don't remember Coke ever being special. Coffee was the "special" drink growing up because children were not allowed to drink it. I didn't think much of it when I could. That has changed (although I prefer tea).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet, I'm not sure whether our lack of Coke was because we lived in England, and it wasn't widely drunk, or whether it was just not allowed. I haven't drunk the stuff for many years - like you I'd rather have a good cup of tea!

      Delete
  3. Oh and I love the pansies in your header. Pansies are the winter flower around here and die out as soon as it heats up. (I just love their little "faces."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet, They are very appealing, I love them.

      Delete
  4. I wasn't allowed fizzy drinks as a child...my first taste of Coke was at Heathrow or Gatwick airport about 1968-ish. We were seeing my great aunt off...she told my Dad that we had to experience Coke. So, with great ceremony the bottles were brought to the table...mine was opened and fizzed froth everywhere. I put my straw in the bottle, tasted the drink, and didn't like it at all.I've only drunk it once since, in Kenya on safari when it was that or nothing.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, Oh dear, poor old you! We only ever had them when we were out and about. Our mother used to make rather wonderful orange or lemon squash so at home it was water, milk, or squash - until we were older and could opt for tea or coffee. These days I drink water or tea - coffee when I'm out because I'm fussy about how my tea is made.

      Delete
  5. So great memories you have. I can't remember my first coca cola.

    Hugs
    Elna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elna, It was a pretty special time in my life, otherwise it would have been long forgotten!

      Delete
  6. I can't remember my first taste of coca cola either. Hong Kong must have seemed so exciting, Elaine, what great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly, I am just so thankful that I was of an age where the memories were retained. Poor Ian (the baby) he could speak Cantonese almost before he could speak English, then he was able to translate for my mother. Unfortunately when we returned to UK after 3 years he quickly forgot it all.

      Delete
  7. Hi Elaine,

    Have to say I’m another one of those rare people that doesn’t drink cola. I have tried it but wasn’t particularly taken with the taste...but I do remember the Bunty magazine though-wonderful-that I really looked forward to!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Green Dragonette, Oh I don't drink it these days! I came across my old Bunty badge the other day - still in amazing condition given that it must be 50 years old... but then maybe not surprising given that it has rarely been used! I used to love getting the Bunty annual at Christmas.

      Delete
  8. What lovely world adventures. Fun to look back on. The moves. The suitcases. Sorting bedrooms. From the short viewpoint. My daughter went on a tour of Spain and Morocco when she was fourteen, I think. One of her favorite souvenirs was an empty Orangina bottle. We still put daffodils in it in spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, It was a wonderful time. I started doing a regular post on our time there, but soon realised it was going to be realllllly long, then I had the idea about using the drinks to help us get around more quickly.

      One of my favourite ways of displaying daffodils is in an old milk bottle - probably similar effect to the Orangina bottle

      Delete
  9. I remember my first coke. It was in the Sergeant's Mess in the barracks where I lived in 1976 - I was 11. I had gone with my friend Michelle and her family. I didn't really like it , but as it had been bought for me I drank it. I never gave my girls fizzy drinks- people thought I was mad, but I worried about the sugar content or aspartame in them and as J and I didn't drink them they were never really exposed to them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Scarlet, Well done you! I tend to think that life is all about balance and that to deny something often makes it seem all the more attractive and desirable.

    The early 1960's were different times!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was a rare occasion when we got "pop" as it's called in the Midwest. We would have to share between the four of us kids. If we were ever privileged enough to have a bottle of our own, it was customary to spit in it and inform out siblings to make sure they didn't drink it! (I know, eewww!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms Sparrow, You have made me laugh! Children are the same the world over! We used to call it 'pop' too - it was always a treat, not an every day event. I always used to drink mine fairly speedily whereas my older brother would sip his slowly, making it last most of the day...it drove me mad!!

      Delete
  12. I really enjoyed your description of your stay in Hong Kong and your first coca-cola. Like you, I remember my first coca-cola because I drank it at a funny little restaurant called the "Rite-Spot" across from my childhood house in a small town in Northwestern Ontario. I liked it, but I really think it had something to do with those wonderful old green bottles. Coca-cola just doesn't taste the same now and I haven't had one for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evlyn, I still haven't got around to tasting it - but I'm sure you are right, it probably won't be the same. You are spot on about that glass bottle it was a big part of the experience! Lovely to hear about your first taste.

      Delete
  13. Elaine, what a great story about your stay in Hong Kong and your first time drinking coca-cola. I cannot remember when I have my first sip of coke. I also remember the 7up float:D I am not a big fan of aerated drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica, I must admit I prefer champagne these days. Who am I kidding? Tea is my favourite tipple!

      Delete
  14. Very interesting to hear about your time in Hong Kong. I can't remember the first time I had coca cola, but I do know I didn't like it and I still don't. 'Pop' was a special treat when I was young and my favourite was dandelion and burdock. Still is if I can get the 'old fashioned' variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doohie, Ah, good old Dandelion & Burdock, Ginger Beer, Cream Soda, Cherryade... Ginger Beer was my favourite, but Cream Soda guaranteed that I would drink water, I couldn't stand the stuff. I really must try them all again one fine day.

      Delete
  15. You sure were, and still are, adorable! I can't remember the first time I had a coke. But, growing up in the city, I guess it wasn't any big deal. Now "cherry" coke, hand-mixed at the soda fountain, I DO remember. That was the big "date" when we were kids. You could take her across the street to the soda fountain at the coffee shop, sit at the counter and order her a coke for 10 cents or a cherry coke for 15. I was a big spender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mitch, That is where you had the advantage over us Brits, I don't think we had such things as soda fountains, certainly not where I lived - but oh how I wish we had. Whenever I used to see American films which featured one (we saw a lot of American films in Hong Kong!) I thought they were the most exciting and glamorous places. A part of me still does.

      Delete
  16. In the car park of the Blue Lion in cwm
    I was 5 with the obligatory bag of cheese crisps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, In the car park - no children allowed in the pub - those were the days! Thanks for joining in.

      Delete
  17. And I used to think how sophisticated it was drinking 'frothy coffee' in some wretched dive, with album covers pinned to the wall, and a Chianti bottle candle stick on the table..... How times have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Cro, Those were the days! Now frothy coffee would take me on to a different place and a new post...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't remember the first time I drank coca cola, but I know I was pretty addicted to it as a kid. Now, it tastes too sweet and gassy to me, plus I'm wary of its effects on the body. My mum talks of the days when cola was first brought to her village, they were considered the most glamorous drinks you could have, and till today, she sees it as a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shu Han, They were very different times indeed. I really must try a coke soon, I very much doubt whether it will taste anything like it does in my memory - but it was amazing how it connected to so many memories.

      Delete
  20. Just poored one Elaine (50/50 with Bacardi!) Hic.

    You look pretty cool on a Vespa - a pretend one or not.

    PS. Yes please to your kind offer. Nudge me when you're ready for my address (& a jar of the golden stuff will have you name on it!)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, Bacardi and coke - now that brings back a lot of memories! Not sure how accurate they would be though!

      If you let me have the details I'll get them sent to you this week, they are packed and ready.

      Delete
  21. That was lovely. Great memories of a fascinating childhood!
    I don't remember my first Coke, but I do remember when it was a special treat. When I do drink it now, which is rare, I still prefer it in a glass bottle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Knatolee, It is those little details which make all the difference. Plastic bottles and cans just aren't the same!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.