PEAR TREE LOG

pear tree log: I started this blog to keep my younger son, Jonny, in touch with life in Lincolnshire, while he spent a year working in China. That year turned into five! Now he is home and training to become a physics teacher. This is simply a patchwork quilt of some of the things I enjoy - life in rural Lincolnshire, our animals, friends, architecture, books, the gardens, and things of passing interest.



Sunday 27 May 2012

Cow Parsley in the Owl Wood

I love the month of May - it is normally the month when the hedgerows burst into life and there is so much  hawthorn blossom that it looks as though the hedges have been sprinkled with snow.



In Owl Wood there is a different magic.





Ivy marches across the pathways and up the trees, if left unchecked.




The bluebells are past their best, still beautiful...but fading.






A beautiful white froth of cow parsley seems to spring up overnight,  to compete with the marching ivy.














Most of it grows to about four feet high, in places it grows to almost six feet...so you can imagine what fun that makes walking with Harry.  He scurries away and is hidden from sight.

Toby and the cats get swallowed up by it only to reappear unexpectedly.  Little Red Hen disappears into it for hours at a time.

The trees are surrounded by white foamy flowers.  The effect is quite wonderful.  I keep making excuses to walk Toby and Harry in the Owl Wood; wicked woman that I am it is mainly for the pleasure of walking through the cow parsley.




It changes the quality of the light and looking across the woodland things are viewed as though through gauze.  It is quite magical.






Cow parsley is easily confused with several other similar looking, but poisonous plants - Hemlock being one of them.

I need to get my plant identification book out and study it closely!

24 comments:

  1. Frilly, frothy, floaty...I can see why you want to walk in it. I'd have to lightly stroke it as I walked by to feel the floatiness in my hands.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane, It is fabulous, flowery, fun. We are making the most of it...well, I am!

      Delete
  2. I have taken several pictures of something that looks similar to your Cow Parsley, but my Illinois Wildflower Book identifies it as
    Poison Hemlock. I didn't know what it was called until I looked to see if it listed Cow Parsley. I would love to have a walk in the woods like yours. Have a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betty, It is really pretty as it just does it's own thing in the woodland, it is a seasonal treat!

      Delete
  3. I love the English ivy climbing the trees. Just yesterday, I was watching an episode of "The Tudors" on BBC America. As Henry and Anne Boleyn are riding horses through a forest, I wondered why there were leaves sticking out of the trees. I finally realized that it was ivy. I love English ivy but I have to buy it in pots at a nursery. By the way, how is the lily-of-the-valley doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ms Sparrow, The lily of the valley is looking healthy - I am delighted to say that we have six small patches now! I haven't got the Trilliums going yet, but they are on the list. The ivy is something which would bury the woodland if left to roam, we have to keep it in check...George does that with a little too much enthusiasm!

      Delete
  4. That cow parsley does seem like a heavenly mist to me, wonderful to see here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, That is it exactly, a heavenly mist!

      Delete
  5. What a magical walk through the woods. I bet you feel like you're floating on clouds in the Cow Parsley--a beautiful wildflowers. Your photos are just wonderful, Elaine...I felt like I was walking with you.XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan, Beautiful, floral clouds floating in the woodland - yes, that is it! I always enjoy walking in there, but this really enhances the experience and it will be like this for a couple of months now! I'm delighted that you enjoyed it too.x

      Delete
  6. Hello Elaine....It is like a fairy tale forest. You might expect to see a white unicorn being led by a woman with wild red hair. Now that might be a good beginning for a novel....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Meggie, A wonderful image - that really would be magical, I can imagine it perfectly. I know there is a unicorn which lives not too far away, I wonder whether he ever comes to visit. I would definitely read a book which opened with that scene...

      Delete
  7. I love to see Cow Parsley growing on the sides of country lanes. Pure England!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cro, It transforms the ordinary into something delightful - and this time of year it is at it's best. The lanes around here are full of wild flowers.

      Delete
  8. We have white cow parsley here in Ontario, too but it likes to be out in the open. So many of the weeds are so attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jenny, I totally agree, weeds can be attractive so I am pretty tolerant of the ones which fit in .. as long as they are controllable, beautiful, or are good for the wildlife.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Hello Mitch, We love it - but then we are happy to live in wellies for most of the year. I think you would enjoy it on a good day - for half an hour!

      Delete
  10. Owl Wood looks so magical - lovely photos. It looks like a wonderful place to do some thinking whilst walking the dogs. Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Maggie, My entourage normally consists of my old dog Toby, the two young cats and on ancient hen. We all wonder around, usually in line, but doing our own thing - we must look awfully funny!

      Delete
  11. No wonder Harry loves it - what a wonderful, magical place to spend your childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Scarlet, I hope Harry retains some of the magic of it, hopefully it will have been permanently engraved into his memory!

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful woodland area. I love cow parsley and have just planted some in the garden. It grows along the lanes but my garden felt left out :)

    I could easily and happily get lost in that magical woodland area ......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cheryl, I'm glad you like it. I hold my hand up, I have a little cow parsley in the garden too. I like the height and the softening effect, although I do keep it restricted.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.