PEAR TREE LOG

pear tree log: I started this blog to keep my younger son, Jonny, in touch with life in Lincolnshire, while he spent a year working in China. That year turned into five! Now he is home and training to become a physics teacher. This is simply a patchwork quilt of some of the things I enjoy - life in rural Lincolnshire, our animals, friends, architecture, books, the gardens, and things of passing interest.



Tuesday 1 May 2012

The Cuckoo and a Stile

image borrowed from moorlandguide.co.uk
Yesterday I heard my first cuckoo of the year.
I was out, enjoying the sunshine and fresh air with Toby.My Boy, Toby

Toby is an old boy, he still manages to break into a run, very occasionally, but he struggles with scrambling over things.  The walk I had decided on had three dog-unfriendly stiles, so I had to lift him up and place him on the other side.  I am showing my years too but somehow we managed...   I don't doubt that it looked utterly ridiculous!   However,  it was that or the cattle grid, and he can't cope with those either.
The cuckoo stile!
So, there I was - derriĆ©re in the air as I  heaved Toby over stile number three when I heard   "Cuckoo"! *
Quite!
I'm still not sure that it wasn't uttered by a human.

Once over the stile we walked down the side of the field adjoining this sweet little cottage.  I love the tiles on the roof.


The views are beautiful as they sweep across the barley fields, the meadows and across to Belleau.










This is how I normally see the cottage from two fields away - thereby saving myself from having to heave Toby over the triple stile obstacle.
Ms Sparrow you wanted me to give Arnold a hug...I visited him yesterday and gave him some horse treats.
I whispered your name in his ear and gave him a hug from you.  Here is Arnold, wondering whether I have just one more horse treat in my pocket...  He was in fine fettle and was enjoying the warmth and the sunshine.

* "cuckoo" is sometimes used to describe someone who acts in a peculiar or strange manner  

23 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures and Toby is just so cute. Have a nice week.

    Hugs
    Elna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elna, As you know, I love my Toby boy! I hope you have a good week too.

      Delete
  2. "Cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo!" I think we all have a little of that bird in us. I love the little cottage...it is a perfect size for me. It appears to have a wagon wheel leaning against the side wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meggie, The little cottage is well off the road and in a tiny hamlet. The views are terrific and it is about ten minutes walk from my house... There is a wagon wheel - nothing as spectacular as that wagon wheel fence which you spotted, though!

      Delete
  3. A stile is such romantic imagry to me. I believe Jane Erye retreated to one when that mad horseman came down the lane, and she found Mr. Rochester sitting on one when she came back the first time. I've used one once in my life, and wonder if I could manage now days, even with my cane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, Just come on one of my walks and I'll help you over the stiles, while you watch for cuckoos. We'll have a great time.

      Delete
  4. look at those pictures!... If I didn't live not 5 minutes away from you I wouldn't believe (based on the weather just prior to yesterday and now) that those were taken yesterday... glorious! I think we did that walk about an hour before you and heard and saw the cuckoo! lovely jubbly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dom, Wasn't the weather lovely? So pleased you heard the cuckoo too - although I suppose that is bad news for some other birds!

      Delete
  5. Hello Elaine:
    We have discovered your very appealing and varied blog quite by chance and were immediately drawn in having read what you say in your welcome. Although we do not know Lincolnshire, we did live and garden, quite seriously, and have cats and keep hens for over twenty-five years in Herefordshire and so have, as so obviously you do too, a great love of the countryside.

    The walk which you have taken in this post with Toby, and the possible hearing of the cuckoo, the climbing over stiles and horses in the field made us, for a moment, very nostalgic for England, particularly at this lovely time of year.

    We have signed as Followers and will look forward to more sharing of your life in future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane and Lance, Welcome! We holidayed in Herefordshire, a few years ago, it is a beautiful county. I love England, at all times of the year, so you are very welcome to join me as I ramble around and share my findings.

      Delete
  6. The wondeful thing is that you will never know 'was it man or twas it beast'.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, Well, I suppose it could have been a beastly man!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Hi Mitch, Thank you! I find it magical and wonderful - luckily I don't mind living half my life in Wellington boots!

      Delete
  8. I love that little cottage. Does anyone live in it? The cuckoo knows just when to pick it's moments :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly, It is a really lovely little place - and yes, it is lived in. It has beautiful views and the neighbours are sheep and lambs at this time of year.

      Delete
  9. What a lovely walk. The countryside looks idyllic and hearing a cuckoo would be the icing on the cake (I am sure it must have been of bird origin - what human could make such a comment in such beautiful settings?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evlyn, The month of May is when the countryside starts to look its best - all we need is a day or two of sunshine and everywhere will be transformed.

      Delete
  10. What a gorgeous walk - looks so peaceful and you have the prefect companion to accompany you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs Thrifty, You are absolutely right, Toby is an old dog and perfectly happy to plod along and then wait while I take photographs or just stand and stare. He is a treasure.

      Delete
  11. How I envy you having the luxury of hugging a horse or dog when you want to. My sweet old dog, Pepper, died in 1982. I've lived in apartments or condos since so now have only cats--who I love dearly.
    But,sometimes...
    Anyway, hugs to you too, dear lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms Sparrow, Cats are wonderful and I sneak a quick hug in with them too. I find that just being in the company of animals is restful and restorative. Have you ever done a post on Pepper, or would that sadden you too much? (I wouldn't ever want to do that, but if it brought back sweet memories..)

      I forgot to mention that Arnold was delighted with the carrots which you sent for him, but he was even more thrilled when your final treat turned out to be two Polo mints - which he absolutely loves to crunch. Let me know next time you want to give him a hug, I am happy to be the middle-man!

      Delete
  12. I love that you gave Arnold some carrots and Polos for me! I had never heard of those mints so I googled it and learned they're what we call Lifesavers. Supposedly, the hole in the middle was devised to allow a child to get air if it got stuck in their windpipe.
    I have never posted about Pepper and I think I should. He's been on my mind a lot lately. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.