PEAR TREE LOG

pear tree log: I started this blog to keep my younger son, Jonny, in touch with life in Lincolnshire, while he spent a year working in China. That year turned into five! Now he is home and training to become a physics teacher. This is simply a patchwork quilt of some of the things I enjoy - life in rural Lincolnshire, our animals, friends, architecture, books, the gardens, and things of passing interest.



Tuesday 15 May 2012

Horncastle, Romans, Horses, Antiques & Pubs

A short and very scenic drive over the Lincolnshire Wolds took me to Horncastle.  A small, bustling market town, home to many antique shops, charity shops, and lots of small independent shops.
The Romans built a fort there, luckily several small sections of the Roman wall still survive.  One is at the back of a supermarket, another in the public library, one small section forms part of the wall of the community centre, and there is at least one other small section, hidden away somewhere!
I always park near the old cattle market and walk the short distance into town, so one of the first shops I come across is this fruit and vegetable shop - wonderful, fresh vegetables and fruit, with the added bonus that when you go inside to pay, your nose is greeted by the perfume of a flower shop.  That makes it a winner in my book.  Double delight.
Horncastle was mentioned in the Domesday book and was granted a market charter in the 13th century. Markets are still held every Thursday and Saturday, with Farmers Markets taking place on the second Thursday of the month.  Throughout the summer local craftsmen and women have stalls alongside the Saturday market.

I often stop for a coffee at this café - I am always lured in by the quaint appearance.  Sometimes the coffee is wonderful, sometimes not.  It depends who is on duty,  I suppose.

This is the River Bain, one of the things which attracted the Romans to Horncastle, as you can see,  it runs right alongside the café.    How different it would have been in those days.
Horncastle is now famous for the number of large, and small, antique shops.  Whole days can be spent browsing them.  Some are pricey, others affordable - but you need to have a good rummage around.
This is the very beautiful 13th century Church of St Mary - I'll save that for another day.

I learned something new about Horncastle, apparently every August since the 1229 a horse fair was held there.  It must have been some fair because it lasted for a week - sometimes two -  and was reputed to have been the largest horse fair in U.K.  It was discontinued in 1948.

One final snippet - in 1860 there were 48 alehouses and inns which equated to one for every 100 inhabitants.  They were a thirsty lot.

These days there are probably around 8 or 9.

29 comments:

  1. Hello Elaine....what a delightful tour of Horncastle. I could spend a week there, exploring the history, antique shops, and of course, a pub and coffee shop! The photos make me feel like I have taken a walk there....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meggie, I hoped you would enjoy it. It is a nice little town.

      Delete
  2. Have you left anything for us though Elaine, after your rummage, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, I was so busy taking photographs that I didn't have time to rummage!

      Delete
  3. What a nice place to visit and lovely pictures.

    Hugs
    Elna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elna, I'm so pleased you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  4. you are a modern day judith chalmers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello John, Ha! I don't have her perma-tan, or her pay packet!!

      Delete
  5. Sorry, most of the post just faded away once I set my eyes on all those gorgeous flowers...I keep scrolling up to look at the photo!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane, I love flower shops, the colours, the smell. Heavenly.

      Delete
  6. I may have added England to my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joanne, I am delighted to hear it, let me know when you need the guided tour.

      Delete
  7. I enlarged the photos to full-screen and lingered over them for a while. I love the street corner one in the village most. It is so very English! Thank you once again for sharing the riches of your lovely countryside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ms Sparrow, It is a very pretty little place, I thought you would enjoy seeing it.

      Delete
  8. What a pretty town. I must make the effort to visit when we next go to Lincolnshire to visit my Mother in Law. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jan, Once you get into the Lincolnshire Wolds it is incredibly beautiful. I know you'd enjoy it too.

      Delete
  9. Hello Elaine:
    Horncastle sounds to be a delightful town and just the kind to spend time in on a fine spring day. We are sure that you must have had an excellent day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane and Lance, Horncastle is truly delightful. Lots of history, interesting shops and buildings and then plenty of choice when it comes to having some refreshments. Perfect!

      Delete
  10. Hi Elaine - what a gorgeous town - we keep meaning to explore your side of the wolds more, it looks wonderful. Thankyou for following me x i keep trying to follow you but your join this site button isn't doing anything - maybe its my laptop - i'll keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello freerangegirl, For me, the Lincolnshire Wolds are the nicest part of the county, even in winter they are beautiful!

      Delete
  11. What an interesting jaunt through an English village. Love the name Horncastle.Do you know the population?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janet, From memory I would have said about 6,000 population - well, I have just checked it up and I was wrong, it is 6,1s00. It is a small place, it gets busy through the summer when the tourists arrive.

      Delete
  12. That is one gorgeous bit of England! And you do have the most wonderful flower markets over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh< Knatolee, if you could just smell that flower shop! The colours, the shapes, the perfume all add up to make it a wonderful place to step into.

      Delete
  13. You've enticed me to add this my list of places to visit when I come to England again. Thank you for the tour. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan, If you do have the opportunity to visit the Lincolnshire Wolds and either Horncastle, or the city of Lincoln, you would not be disappointed. They are both beautiful and rich in history.

      Delete
  14. Horncastle was just a name, so thanks for giving it character. I've lived more than half my life abroad, but even so I ought to know more about my own native country. Shame on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cro, I think we are all guilty of that. The world is a beautiful place. I just happen to celebrate, and revel in, the beauty of Lincolnshire.

      Delete
  15. There's 2 or 3 more antiquey places opened just this week in the town, one with a little cafe for a winter warm.
    :0)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.