PEAR TREE LOG

pear tree log: I started this blog to keep my younger son, Jonny, in touch with life in Lincolnshire, while he spent a year working in China. That year turned into five! Now he is home and training to become a physics teacher. This is simply a patchwork quilt of some of the things I enjoy - life in rural Lincolnshire, our animals, friends, architecture, books, the gardens, and things of passing interest.



Sunday 6 May 2012

I Took Tomatoes to Church and Came Home with Lilies

Church Plant Sale



I went to a plant sale today, it was being held in a tiny village just a couple of miles from us.   This  is an annual event which helps to generate much needed income for the Fabric Fund of St Andrew's Church.


Tomato plants





We always go along and purchase plants, books and cakes but this year we decided to donate a few plants... some very healthy tomato plants - grown from seeds which a very dear friend sent to me.







This quiet little village holds some wonderful secrets, which I have posted about here.  It also has some really nice old houses.












Some are hidden behind high hedges, some are right on the street.









It is a green and leafy village, a quiet village, set in deepest Lincolnshire.  It hosts some very surprising guests.   Stars, old and new, from the world of music.





Borrowed image - mine are just about to flower!
I found some pots of lily-of-the valley on offer at the plant sale - of course I bought them!  They will also go into the Owl Wood, where I hope they will spread and multiply.  I guess that wonderful little lily-of-the-valley fairy was in attendance again!

21 comments:

  1. Oh I wish I had been there to purchase those tomato plants of yours Elaine. Mine that I grew from seed this year are still pitifully small and leggy-if only we could have some sun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Green Dragonette, If you didn't live so far away I would willingly let you have some. We definitely need more sun and fewer frosts!

      Delete
  2. Hello Elaine.... I love the title of your post. The photos of your tomatoes look like they might be related to mine! Did you post about St. Andrew's Church?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Meggie, Those tomatoes were so healthy and strong! I did a quick post on St Andrew's Church and I have now added the link. I will have to do it more justice sometime though.

      Delete
  3. Hello Elaine:
    All of this is so very English and exactly the kind of thing we so enjoy. In addition, it does raise much needed money to maintain the church which, doubtless as is the case in your parish, is an ancient building requiring constant maintenance and upkeep, all of which is so very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane and Lance, So pleased you enjoyed it. These small country churches need all the help we can give them and we like to assist when we can.

      Delete
  4. Great title. Such a scenic place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betty, I'm glad you enjoyed it. The village is very pretty, especially at this time of year.

      Delete
  5. Those pictures are stunning! Plant sales are GREAT fun, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Little Home in the Country, We always enjoy going - it's the first time I've found lily of the valley there. My lucky day!

      Delete
  6. What an interesting village. I want to jump into photo#5 and walk that lane and peek over the hedge to see into the yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janet, Just for you, I shall go back and walk that lane, if no one is looking I will take a photo of what lies beyond the hedge.

      Delete
    2. I can hardly wait!

      Delete
  7. I just learned my daughter has a bed of Lily-of-the-Valley hidden behind her garage. She promised me some. She brought a handful of blooms yesterday, to share the fragrance, and I learned her secret!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joanne, You learned her secret...could that be the secret to successfully growing Lily of the Valley? Lucky you - aren't they just the prettiest little flowers - and that fragrance!

      Delete
  8. I've been an Anglophile for decades. I used to get terribly "homesick" for England even though I'd never been there. I've since visited twice-in 1997 and again in 2004. I thought I'd gotten it out of my system. But, your pictures of the roads and countryside have awakened that aching desire again. How very lucky you are to live in such an exquisite place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ms Sparrow, There is nothing for it, you will have to come to Lincolnshire so I can show you round! I have to thank you, for taking such an interest...you give me the excuse to go around looking and photographing these places.

      Delete
  9. Lovely pictures and what a great deal, you left with tomatoes and come home with lilies.

    Hugs
    Elna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elna, That is what I call a great deal too. The lilies are beautiful and fragrant.

      Delete
  10. I love these type of plant sales. Looks like bargains all round and a good way of raising a bit of cash as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Molly, It was great fun and there were plenty of plants to choose from even though some stall holders had been put off by the terrible weather. Every little helps when it comes to keeping these small churches going!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.