PEAR TREE LOG

pear tree log: I started this blog to keep my younger son, Jonny, in touch with life in Lincolnshire, while he spent a year working in China. That year turned into five! Now he is home and training to become a physics teacher. This is simply a patchwork quilt of some of the things I enjoy - life in rural Lincolnshire, our animals, friends, architecture, books, the gardens, and things of passing interest.



Saturday 19 May 2012

Sisterhood Pudding

I have had the pleasure of wearing and using the Traveling Susan Apron for the last couple of weeks.
The time is nigh for me to send it on to the next recipient.
Who should I send it to?
I put that decision to the back of my mind and had a baking session instead.
I made:


Sisterhood Pudding

This recipe comes from a book which is about 90 years old a time when food was rather stodgier than that which we favour today.  
Nevertheless, with a name like that, how could I resist? 

I don't eat meat suet, so I substituted a vegetarian alternative.
 I didn't have apricot jam - so I substituted blackcurrant jam.
I wonder whether this could be one of the reasons I am no great shakes as a cook!
Perhaps if I stuck more closely to the recipes...
It was quick and easy to make.
It came out of the oven looking pretty much as I expected.
It is a pudding more suited to cold winter days, but George enjoyed it served with a generous helping of  custard.

It is said that the apron chooses the next recipient itself...
I confess I was sceptical,
but
by the time I had finished cooking I knew who should have the apron next
.........
drum roll
.........


Well done Scarlet, I hope you enjoy wearing the apron as much as I have.
I am also pleased to tell you that I managed to keep it clean!



I want to say a huge thank you to two marvellous women:

who made this beautiful apron 

and

She was awarded the apron by Susan
and generously decided to send the 
apron off for a year of adventure,
to draw people together, to create, and cement,
friendship right across the world.

THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING SUSAN APRON was born.

Enjoy your turn with the apron, Scarlet.
I know it contains some magic.

20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It look and sound very nice.

    Hugs
    Elna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind! Have a nice weekend, Elna.

      Delete
  3. I do wish there was an edit function for comments!

    Wow! I can't thank you and Meggie and Susan enough. I'll be honoured to join the sisterhood, and just hope that I'll be able to do the apron justice- you've certainly cooked up a storm while it's been with you! I can't wait to see where the magic leads me. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Scarlet, We are delighted to admit you to the Sisterhood! I will post the apron early in the week and then the adventure will continue. You are going to have a lot of fun, that much I do know.

      Delete
    2. Scarlet, I'm so touched with this venture that Meggie started and the new friends I get to meet along the way. I feel we've all been together forever.

      Delete
  4. I'll be checking Scarlet's Nook to follow the progress of the apron!
    This is such a friendly exchange of international cooking ideas and just plain great fun. Your suet-less suet pudding looked yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ms Sparrow, I haven't forgotten about the other recipes, as soon as time permits I will do the conversions and put them on a tab page. The Sisterhood pudding was definitely a 'stick-to-the-ribs', cold weather, pudding.

      Delete
  5. Elaine, the pudding is so aptly named! I'm glad you changed the suet, I'm a vegetarian and would have done the same. However, your substitutions yielded a beautiful dessert filled with love. Thank you, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan, Isn't it funny, I have flicked through that book so many times and not noticed that pudding... I am so happy that I have had the opportunity to wear and enjoy the apron -to experience the magic! It is I who should thank you.x

      Delete
  6. Hello Elaine...thank you again for joining in with the Sisterhood. You have done an outstanding job of cooking and posting with the apron. Now the magic extends to Scarlet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Meggie, It has been a marvellous experience, and I can't thank you enough for the opportunity to wear and enjoy your apron. It came sprinkled with magic, the magic of the Sisterhood. I wonder where it will lead Scarlet...the adventure continues!

      Delete
  7. That looks so good. I'll have to try it this winter. Thanks for visiting my blog again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amy, The Sisterhood Pudding is a very quick and easy pudding - best eaten with lashings of custard, on a cold and wintery day. I imagine it was created during hard times, when people had little in the cupboard and a lot of hungry mouths to feed - quickly!

      Delete
  8. What a great idea with the apron and I think the pudding look good.

    Hugs
    Elna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elna, It has been cold here, so the pudding was very welcome. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

      Delete
  9. Sisterhood pudding, I like that name, and I substitute all the time, sometimes it's even better than original which I am sure yours was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, The name is wonderful ... but it didn't really register, until I had the apron with me...then the cogs of my mind began to turn! It would definitely be too stodgy for your climate, but it tasted pretty good.

      Delete
  10. what a lovely idea!... I love the travelling apron, that is genius... I may have to 'borrow' it for myself... love the pudding, looks perfect for this glorious weather we're having!... by the way, did you see the form for the Aby Village Show?... no great shakes as a cook my arse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dom, It is a beautiful apron - and it comes with a wonderful story. Meggie had the great idea to send it off travelling for a year, which should make for some new friendships and some interesting reading.
      I notice that the scone category is for fruit, plain or cheese...

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.