PEAR TREE LOG

pear tree log: I started this blog to keep my younger son, Jonny, in touch with life in Lincolnshire, while he spent a year working in China. That year turned into five! Now he is home and training to become a physics teacher. This is simply a patchwork quilt of some of the things I enjoy - life in rural Lincolnshire, our animals, friends, architecture, books, the gardens, and things of passing interest.



Thursday 10 May 2012

The Traveling Susan Apron Has Arrived!


I felt the thrill of anticipation as I spotted this pretty pink envelope in my post box today.  I just knew what it contained, and who had sent it.

Ta-da!  It is The Traveling Susan Apron.
This lovely apron was made by Susan, of  My Mother's Apron Strings.
I love that wonderful combination of fabrics - chickens and eggs - great fun.

Susan's heart warming blog is full of recipes, photographs, and memories, a delicious combination!

Meggie on the Prairie was the lucky winner, of the apron, in Susan's March draw.

Meggie's beautiful blog is a rich and varied mix of country living, beautiful objects, history, flora and fauna  - highly addictive!.


Meggie very generously decided to share the apron with her blogging friends.
Her idea being to send it off on a world-wide adventure,  so that it may be used, and enjoyed, by as many blogging friends as possible during a year of traveling.

The lucky recipient wears the apron in her kitchen, cooks something, and posts about it.
This is all  recorded in a journal, which accompanies the apron.
So exciting!
I spent a couple of hours sitting by the stove, flicking through recipe books...
I have some ideas...

In the mean time,
I am very grateful to Meggie, and Susan,
for giving me this opportunity to join

As Meggie says:
"Yes, this is a knock-off from the book and movie The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
Somehow, I think we will have less trouble fitting into the apron than we would the pants."
So true, Meggie!  So true.

24 comments:

  1. Just think, the apron was in my Texas kitchen a few weeks ago! I love the post and the photos. Thank you so much for accepting the apron. Tell me about the rabbit sitting near the Rayburn Stove and the chick in the apron photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Meggie, I am thrilled and very honoured. Thank you so much. The rabbit is a kitchen roll holder - so much nicer than looking at the kitchen roll. The little chick is an egg cosy - rather in the manner of a tea cosy - to keep your boiled egg warm!

      Delete
  2. Hello Elaine:
    What a fun idea this is and we look forward to seeing the [no doubt] delicious receipt which will be cooked whilst you are wearing the travelling susan apron.

    As for ourselves, we are absolutely no cooks and are never to be found in a kitchen. So, much as we should love a pretty pink parcel winging its way into our letterbox, the travelling apron would be merely a fashion statement in our hands!!! We love the spotty chicken motif!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane and Lance, This really is a marvellous idea and it should be fun to watch and see how the journey develops.

      I am no great shakes as a cook, however, I am determined to do my best ... so watch this space! I have to choose a day when the omens are good, the wind is in the right direction and my Rayburn will cooperate.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hello John, The chicken is an egg cosy, keeps your boiled egg warm and toasty while you finish cutting your toast soldiers ready for dunking.

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to find out what you will cook in your snazzy traveling apron. That is such a charming idea! If Jonny cooks, you could send it to him in China to give it an expanded itinerary. I'm also interested in hearing about the rabbit on the stove.
    Next time you show a picture of yourself, please do not cut off your head! That is just carrying modesty too far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ms Sparrow, That is a really wonderful idea, however, Jonny eats cereal for breakfast, has lunch at the university and then buys his evening meal from the street vendors...

      I must make a confession, I exploit my children shamelessly. I got my daughter to model the apron. I am allergic to cameras - ask Ian!

      Delete
  5. Hello Elaine, What a wonderful idea ....my but there are some super creative people out there in the wide wide world!
    I'm looking forward already to hearing more ...


    enjoy

    Amanda
    at Crafty in the Med

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amanda, The apron is really beautifully made and the design is unusual, the fabrics speak for themselves! I am looking forward to wearing it properly, but I remain terrified lest I splash it! I'll post once I get the courage to go for it.

      Delete
  6. Can't wait to see what recipe you choose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janet, Luckily I am not drawn to some of the more obscure recipes in my old books, nor is it likely to be meat or fish - I am narrowing down my choices!

      Delete
  7. This will be great fun to read about. I hope you make a lot of things I've never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joanne, The thing I am most likely to make is a mess, however, as I have to post about it... Joking aside, I'm really looking forward to it.

      Delete
  8. If someone intends to start a male version of this, The travelling Oily Cloth'; please count me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cro, Oh dear, does that mean your cooking skills are not up to it? Neither are mine! The cooking is only an incidental part of it though.

      Delete
  9. Even the packaging was beautiful! I'm looking forward to seeing what culinary creations the apron inspires whilst it's with you! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Scarlet, Wasn't it beautifully packaged! The fabrics are beautiful and the design is very special. Let's all hope that my cooking skills are up to the job - or that at least one side of anything I cook looks photogenic - then I can bluff the rest.

      Delete
  10. As I replied to Elaine on my blog when she said she had received this amazing project--Meggie's brainchild!...I have tears in my eyes that a simple, but meaningful wedding gift of "apron strings" from my mother has introduced me to so many dear friends through blogging.
    I can't wait to see what scrumptious creations you bake, Elaine Hugs, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Susan, The story of the "apron strings" is wonderful! The Travelling Susan Apron is an extension of that and I cannot thank you and Meggie enough for this opportunity - what a marvellous way to draw us together. It is going to be an interesting year and should make for some good reading too. I should be ready to post about my cooking sometime next week ... it depends how many attempts I have to make!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the stories that apron will be able to tell in years to come!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Green Dragonette, I just hope that one of the stories will not involve a large grease splash and Lincolnshire! I shall have to mind my messy ways while I wear it.

      Delete
  13. What a great idea! It should be a very well travelled apron by the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello LBM, Isn't it beautiful...although I recall you made a pretty special apron yourself, just a short time ago! It will probably be one of the most travelled aprons in the world and the journal should make for interesting reading.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.